Before booking a theory test you will need:
- A valid UK driving licence
- Credit or debit card details
You can book your theory test:
- By phone, between 8.00am and 4.00pm Mon-Fri. Tel: 0300 200 1122
- By post (forms can be obtained online or from your driving instructor)
- Online (use official Directgov booking service link above, other booking service providers may charge.)
The Car Theory test fee is £23.00
Your theory test is in 2 parts:
1. Theory Questions
- Consists of 50 multiple choice questions, the time allowed to complete these questions will be 57 minutes and you must achieve a score of 43 out of 50.
- You will be provided with a case study of which 5 of your questions will be based on.
2. The Hazard perception part
- You will be shown a series of 14 video clips, these feature every day road scenes. 13 clips contain 1 developing hazard and 1 clip contains 2 developing hazards. The earlier you see a developing hazard and respond, the higher your score will be. Maximum of 5 marks for each developing hazard, maximum score for the 14 video clips is 75. To obtain a pass mark your score has to be 44 out of 75.
- You will need to pass both parts of this test. If you only pass one part you will have failed the test and will need to take both parts again.There is a waiting period of 3 clear working days before you can retake your theory test.